To us a hotel is an island in everyday's life.
The guest may always be welcomed with warm and true hospitality.
The heart of hotel life is where we can look after you: at the table.
And there we don't mind costs nor efforts to serve only the best to you. And we serve with a smile, because we love what we are doing.
History of Quality The Wittelsbach hotel shows proudly its history without being old fashioned. Back into the 19th century we learn about tradition and dedication to quality hosting.
Since 5 generations we live and strive for guests satisfaction.
Brewery since 1872 . . .
Since 1872 a brewery with bowling alley and ice cellar was on the premises.
1888 Georg Stockmaier opens Hotel
In 1886 he started to build the hotel. Italian builders come to Ruhpolding and build several houses in Italian Alpine style. Also the Hotel "Gasthof Stockmaier" todays Alpenhotel Wittelsbach, wich opened in August 1888 under beer brewer Georg Stockmaier and his wife Maria..
1892 New "Glassalon"
In July 1892 todays "Veranda" opens. 1898 bowling alley is being taken apart and replaced bythe "Villa Rauschberg" building on top of the beer cellar.
In the repertories one can read: "Apartment house with stable, butchery, wash house and bakery, brewery with cool cellar, vegetable garden.
Anton Gillitzer moves to Ruhpolding . . .
. . . and acquires the Gasthof in 1906. He is from Munich and has successfully already worked abroad in London, Paris and on an Atlantic Cruise Liner. His uncle Thomas Gillitzer had built famous hotel "Deutscher Kaiser" in Rosenheim, which at this time was said to have been the most elegant hotel of Upper Bavaria.
1913 Margarethe follows to Ruhpolding
. . . and marries Anton. Margarethe Berghammer is from a little Bavarian town called Ampfing and derives from a big family of inn keepers. From now on she is the land lady of the hotel in Ruhpolding.
Four girls born
Until 1920 they give birth to 4 girls. The second, Elisabeth, later takes over the hotel from her parents. In 1936 she marries Eduard Conrad, again he is from Munich with roots in Liechtenstein.
In 1937 within one year they give birth to (again) tree girls. Ingeborg in January and twins Lieselotte and Rosemarie in December. They call it a three-girls-house. At the beginning of the war business in Ruhpolding is still very good. Later the hotel has been taken over by the Nazi-regime to host mothers and their children and later to become a war hospital. After the war Americans use the hotel for the soldiers and refugees. It was not before 1948 that Eduard got permission to run his hotel again, completely damaged. To refurbish he has to sell many parts of the Wittelsbach premises.
The 50s and 60s . . .
953 the couple divorces and Eduard leaves off to Munich. Elisabeth leads the hotel on to international success on her own. She is well known for her charm and high standards of Bavarian hospitality.
A man from the Rhine area comes to Ruhpolding. . .
. . . and falls in love with Rosemarie. Wolfgang Eismann, from Königswinter near Bonn, being a hotel's guest has an eye on the daughter of the house. Not easy but after a few visits he manages to go out with her and they get married in 1964. They have three boys (what a change). In1973 they take over the hotel. In 1978 the hotels exclusively works with Landschaftsverband Rheinland for 5 years.
1986 all rooms refurbished
All rooms are being refurbished with Italian furniture. The underground parking garage is being built by the Ruhpolding authorities. Marcus, the youngest son trains in the Black Forest's famous hotel "Traube-Tonbach". Brother Frank trains butcher in-house and Ralph trains to be a bar keeper.
4th Generation of the hotel
1992 Marcus comes home after working in London's Savoy Hotel. He brings Anja who is from Essen. They had first met in Black Forest and get married in June 1993.
1996 they build the hotel bar and renovate the restaurant kitchen. They have three children: Katharina, Sebastian and Anne-Sophie. They take over the hotel in 2010.
In 2010-2017 from cellar to roof the hotel goes under a deep refurbishment. To combine the old family tradition with modern design they strive for. The hotel outside is being restored in 2011. Also the Restaurant, Bar & Lounge then was new designed.